Shame (noun) a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior. Example “.”- Oxford Languages
to the world! We’re .
, you are going to experience . Part of this is generational. Women have been we are less than men.
As an old white man, Clement of Alexandria, said, “.”
You will experienceas early as the that reveals . Your will experience humiliation from and giving your .
, you won’t believe all the ways and times you’ll be shamed for . Let me give you some examples:
- Be a good girl.
- Give Uncle Bernard a hug; sit on his lap.
- in class.
- You’re so cute. You’re so beautiful. .
- You would be much if you lost weight, got , wore revealing clothes, , and/or [fill in the blank].
- You’re a for wearing that.
- want to become a , an artist, , or single and ? Shame on you.
- At age , you’ve your .
- . You shouldn’t have been drinking, or walked without an escort, or got an Uber alone, or went up to the room with him, or [fill in the blank].
- I don’t think so.
- Did ?
- You can’t be [fill in the blank].
- Your is no longer viable, so .
- Buy every product and have every procedure to .
I’mI was the one who shared this with you. However, as a , I felt it was my duty to let you know the kind of shit and shame you will have to endure.
, know . I that I didn’t figure out that I can until my . Please that long. You can give the . Let me count the ways:
- Raise your hand
- Be you, Girl!
- Wear big, baggy clothes or a tight dress with high heels because to do.
- You are a
- at yourself in the and say, “I you.”
- to each other.
- Lean in when you have .
- Dye your hair, get breast implants, lose weight… .
- You know it is not the that matters but the
- Be a .
- your light.
- Practice , self-love, healing rituals.
- your .
As Maren Morris sings, “Baby girl, don’t hang your head low. Don’t lose your halo. Everyone’s gonna be okay, Baby girl.”